Train and socialize your puppy in our small group puppy classes!
Puppy Power! Puppy Foundation Class
- Puppies should be less than 6 months old on their start date.
- Tuesdays at 6:30pm or 7:30pm; Open enrollment! Register to start right away (as soon as there’s an open spot in class). These classes run on the same curriculum schedule, so if one is full, check the other.
- 5 week class, meeting once per week for one hour.
- Cost = $225.
- Maximum of 5 puppies in class so you get lots of individual attention.
Register for puppy class
Help your puppy thrive and grow into the super dog you know they can be. Training in our group classes is focused on building a sturdy foundation for lifelong habits. In addition to providing an opportunity for puppies to safely socialize, students learn how to train their puppies and puppies are taught how to learn new skills using positive reinforcement with clicker training. This sets students up to not only have a set of cues and behaviors they can use to communicate with their puppy, but also a simple way to teach new behaviors and troubleshoot their training in the future.
In class, you’ll learn behaviors such as intro to leash walking, sit and down until released, touch a target, come, leave it, and drop it.
We also cover topics that are specific to puppy development and socialization, such as:
- Teaching puppies to be comfortable with new experiences (now and in the future)
- Learning about body language
- Cooperative care for grooming and veterinary encounters
- Help with common puppy topics like biting, chewing, potty training, and crate training.
Some additional class details
Puppies are encouraged to start class as soon as possible. See the AVSAB’s position statement on puppy socialization for more details about socialization benefits for young puppies.
Important notes about attending our group training classes
- Aversive training tools such as choke chains or prong collars are not allowed in any class or private training session. Learn more about the use of punishment and aversive training tools on the Resources page.
- Dogs must have a 4′-6′ fixed-length leash available (no retractable leashes).
- It’s important that dogs or puppies who enroll in group classes be comfortable around other dogs and around people. Classes require dogs to be near each other and the humans in class for an hour at a time, and dogs who are scared or reactive around others will likely feel overwhelmed in a group class, which would be counter-productive to their learning and socialization efforts. It is normal for new puppies to be unsure in a new environment, but if you are seeing significant fear of or reaction to dogs or people, please talk to us before enrolling in a group class. To learn more about proper socialization for adult dogs, visit the Resources page.
- Pet Me Please is a pet supply store, located on Adams Avenue in Normal Heights.