Parents and expectant parents want to keep their babies safe and their dogs happy.
Your dog has always been your first baby, and now you’ve got a human baby joining the family. It’s an exciting time!
Are you wondering how to keep your dog happy when your baby arrives?
Do you have a baby who is starting to crawl or walk and making your dog uncomfortable?
Are there behaviors your dog does that you’d like to change before baby arrives?
Would you like to help your dog learn how to get along with your baby and build a lasting bond your whole family can enjoy?
Woof! Dog Training’s owner, Erin Vejar, specializes in dog and baby dynamics. She’s a licensed educator with Family Paws Parent Education and frequently works with parents to prepare their dogs for life with a baby, or to change existing dog and baby dynamics when things might not be going as smoothly as you would like.
Common dog and baby training topics
- Dog body language
- Avoiding common situations that lead to conflict between dogs and babies
- Managing your home to keep baby safe and dog happy
- Positive, practical training to set your dog up for success
- Long-term goals and strategies to help your dog through your baby’s developmental changes
- Ways to entertain your dog when your baby arrives
- Developing a training plan to change existing dynamics
Help your dog adjust to life with a baby
Here are some options to help you get started. Gift certificates are also available for dog and baby training, if you’d like to give a friend or family member the gift of preparedness.
- Schedule a private training session to get started preparing your dog for your baby or changing an existing household dynamic.
- Attend one of Erin’s Dogs and Babies presentations at Babies-R-Us or other local location. Email Erin for upcoming dates.
- Attend a small group Dogs & Storks class. This humans-only class is approximately two hours, and the cost is $50 per family. It’s packed with information, and it includes handouts to take home and time to answer all of your questions. Email Erin to schedule. In this class, you will learn about:
- dog body language,
- how to employ Active Supervision in your household,
- management techniques to encourage a safe and happy experience for dog and baby,
- ways to keep your dog entertained when baby arrives,
- what to expect from your dog when baby arrives,
- what to do with your dog when you go to the hospital,
- stages your baby will go through that could affect your dog’s behavior,
- behaviors you can begin working on now with your dog,
- and situations you can help your dog to become comfortable with before your baby arrives.
- Read articles or watch videos about dog and baby training on the Family Paws Parent Education website.